Sunday 5 January 2014

Misol Há

Definitely housebound today. Anyone knowing anything about the weather in the UK at the moment will know why!

With the coast being battered by storm surges and high winds more or less everywhere there really wasn't much of a decision to make. I don't fancy being swept away from a coastal path, blown off a hillside or hit on the head by a falling branch in a woodland.

A day to stay home in front of the fire and remember warmer sunnier days so back to Mexico and the falls at Misol Há

 Truly spectacular. It was the end of the rainy season so there was plenty of water streaming over the falls. In fact Misol Há means Streaming Water in one of the Mayan dialects.

The official website claims it as a 40 mt drop - I'm not sure it was quite that high but never mind.





One of the attractions is that you can swim in the pool but given the amount of water it didn't seem wise - not that we had time though. However these two were not deterred and were grateful I'm sure for the rope slung across the centre of the pool to stop themselves being swept down river.
The path down to the waterfall leads behind it and it was quite an experience to stand under it. I was glad of my rian poncho as I'd have been soaked to the skin with the spray otherwise.





 The camera was also wearing its waterproof jacket so I was able to take some shots out through the curtain of water.

I was the only one brave enough the try this!




The path goes on past the falls but becomes steep slippery and rocky and we didn't have time to go any further. 

The misty effect here is the  water spray. I was getting a bit worried now about my camera. It isn't waterproof and I was trusting the swathes of plastic to keep it dry so time to beat a retreat.


The camera  was a lot drier than I was!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...