Firstly to St Lythan's or to give it its Welsh name, Gwal-y-Filiast, a burial site near the village of St Nicholas. Can't miss this one- Cadw have helpfully signed it from the road and as soon as you enter the field there it is!
The remains of a chambered burial site, the capstone is massive, some 14ft long and 10ft wide.
Local folklore has it that the field is cursed and that no crops will grow. Nice crop of grass and nettles though. The capstone is massive, some 14ft long and 10ft wide.
Couldn't leave without a visit to nearby Tinkinswood chamber which is a couple of miles away and also in the care of Cadw. This is a fabulous setting ( despite the almost overhead power lines). So quiet and peaceful with views across the Welsh countryside.
This is another chambered long cairn. It is much bigger than the previous site and was excavated in 1914 as a brick pillar "supporting" the roof proudly proclaims. The inside is marred by the detritus of the sort of visitor who thinks it appropriate to light a tea light and leave the remains behind.
The remains of some 50 burials were found and removed from here.