Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Tithing at Bradford on Avon

 A very gentle amble this week along the canal at Bradford on Avon in deference to the weather ( mud  anyone?) and some visitors who are no longer in the first flush of youth!

The only problem with Bradford on Avon is it is popular, very popular  even when everything is closed. In the summer it is truly packed.

Our perambulation started at the old Tithe Barn.
According to English Heritage this is "one of the country’s finest examples of medieval monastic barns – rightly called ‘the cathedrals of the land’"

It was originally built in the first part of the 14th century and was part of a group of farm buildings grouped around a yard. 

 Strictly speaking this isn't a tithe barn at all but the  remains of a grange. Originally owned by  Shaftesbury Abbey it was built to hold the produce from the estate. The abbey was dissolved in 1539 and the grange became became a farm, the barn remaining in use until the mid 1970s.

The interior roof is dramatic but on this occasion the bar was closed to the public.

Passing the barn to reach the canal we came upon a hive of activity. Lots of christmas bikes and some determined groups seemingly heading for the pub.

Many of the narrowboats were occupied and lots bore christmas decorations.

Our walk ended at the aqueduct and a retrace of the steps back  to the car and home for lunch.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...